fingerguns

3D Printers :)

166 posts in this topic

Over the last couple of years I've been following the Reprap community, I originally was going to build a i3 Pursa but I held off and since then the Kossel Delta has been released and getting mixed reviews, but hey I love the look and the movement of the Kossel.

When upgraded to the newer electronics like the smoothieboard they can do insane speeds like below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_qct8ecnas

Last week I got my first taste of the reprap world building a good friends Kossel. 

ZJlskdn.jpg?1

it was extremely satisfying, great mixture of programming and building. I really should of got into the arduino scene earlier haha!

Sorry about potato quality, only photo I took of it once everything was together.

Today I finally ordered my Kossel kit, I've been talking too the manufacture for a few days now and got a linear kit for $356 delivered. Which honestly I can't beat locally, it's significantly cheaper.

I'll update this post as I get and build the printer and hopefully all goes well and I'll be actually be able to get back into 3D modelling :D

So you have one at your place..... nice.
Thought you just messed around with web design :blink:

I was looking at that one, or at least one very similar, but in a dual head..
I have also been looking at CNC router's and laser cutters/engravers..

interested to hear how you go.. 

I've been quite curious about these for a while, what I can't get my head around is what the machine actually prints with? Is it like a powder or a gel?

I'd be keen as a bean to see a video of yours in action once it's all together and printing!

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

So you have one at your place..... nice.

Not yet :) That photo was at a mates place in ballarat, I had to leave just before we finished calibration, he is almost done but work / uni got in the way. I'll send a final print video once it's up. 

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

Thought you just messed around with web design :blink:

Web Development / Design is what I do for money, because well I can do it and it doesn't involved heavy lifting, diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and have some pretty fucked lower back at 19, I originally wanted to do something in either engineering or the automotive industry, just my body doesn't really let me do much hands on stuff, my family is actually full of mechanical engineers and structural engineers. 

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

I was looking at that one, or at least one very similar, but in a dual head..
I have also been looking at CNC router's and laser cutters/engravers..

I would hold off on the thought of dual head, literally just another colour and you can't mix colours, it also add's weight to your head and also ends up just costing you more because of extra filament needed to keep the spools full, only benefit I see is come reload time, having the same colours in both spools would be super handy.

Lazer cutters, well a 3d printer can be one if you can source a strong enough lazer but customs stops us from having fun like that :ph34r: Just replace extruder head with a lazer, done :P

CNC's I played with a lot of them at school / tafe. Was fun but far more expensive than a cheap 3D Printer :) you can make some cheap reprap CNC's from memory it's just the stepper motor runs out of torque too quick.

1 hour ago, Lukasaurus_ said:

I've been quite curious about these for a while, what I can't get my head around is what the machine actually prints with? Is it like a powder or a gel?

I'd be keen as a bean to see a video of yours in action once it's all together and printing!

Hehe well there is lots of different type of printing about, resin based like that new phone one on kickstarter. 

This printer is a filament based printer, it can use PLA or ABS.
https://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare
Take a read of that.

There is actually a lot of exotic filament's about now which awesome, generally any filament based printer will take any of them it's just a matter of your extruder type and the temp the filament needs.

The Duck is on its way... 

iOfVYXW.jpg

BhwULxc.jpg

27min in and the duck is taking shape.. 
BhkYZHp.jpg

50 min in
yHGDaok.jpg

63 min and the duck is finished... quack.. 

yoZ487M.jpg

2 people like this

@DeCoY do you think you could do like a time lapse video or one of it working? 

If you don't mind me asking, what's the round about cost of setting up a 3D printer? And how tech savvy does one have to be to get it to work? (ie; soldering, fiddling with wires, programming etc) 

Fingerguns might be a better person to ask, as he has just assembled one for a friend.
I think he said he paid 350 for it
But I will do a timelapse of it working.. 

I borrowed this one of a customer who was not using it.

My printer in at Newcastle Uni was around $850, for the one we've got in place.

Well  mine was "delivered" today apparently but fuck knows who "R.Smith" is. Time to find this expensive big parcel..... Dam star-track stuffing up again.....

In terms of timelapes of a printer, it's very easy to setup if the printer supports octoprint, you just setup the octoprint software and a webcam and you can take a snapshot on each Z axis increment.

Decoy,  nice 3d systems printer. They are worth a pretty penny well when they were new not sure what prices are for them now. 

it's proprietary firmware correct me if I'm wrong?

i am still learning about it.. but yes it seems that way, thats why i provided the link to the manufacturer, so you can take a look..

I think yours will print the .stl where this one you have to convert further to .bbf

Yeah 3D Systems are know for being proprietary.

They are one of the big boys(http://www.stratasys.com/ is the other)

They all started in the manufacturing industry and been trying to catch up with the desktop / home industry since reprap made a big dint. 

Most reprap's take a STL and slice it into G Code co-ordinates for each layer.

.bbf  is basic binary code, from what google says so yeah no doubt the whole system is proprietary. Either way still seems to push out a decent print, I wonder if you can hack it to add in a newer style extruder, I can't see from the pictures what's actually happening on that extruder it seems to be a lot of clear plastics and containers or something on top? Does it like pre melt the filament or something?

2 hours ago, DeCoY said:

The Duck is on its way... 

iOfVYXW.jpg

the top is the filament feed drive then below that you can see the filament come in the clear tube.
the  spring loaded bearing appears to be the filament guide and pinch feed roler that feeds into the heat head.
The filament is still solid below the feed rollers.
ill take a couple of pics.

@fingerguns
here are 3 pics of the head
this the front

bvujQIe.jpg

Left view
WmuAhGV.jpg

Right View
Mb7oqAV.jpg

it looks like it is using an archimedes screw to push the filament and then to preheat  mix and feed to the hot print nozzle

It looks like it supports G Codes and M Codes

QvSxK5Q.jpg

Ended up finding the parcel... And got it built!

Here is a imgur album of todays build, it's got some titles / descriptions.

http://imgur.com/a/MlYws

I'll upload a dry run tomorrow for you guys to see, so far it's great no real tools needed except a pair of pliers and the provided Allen keys.

Kit Quality

This is my second Chinese build, the first manufacture we bought from was pretty average. Anycubic on the other hand have done a fantastic job with the quality and manual. 90% of the printed parts are ABS injected, the printed parts are PLA done on a pretty decent printer, the quality is far better than our previous kit.

I honestly give this kit so far a 8/10 can't say 10/10 I have no filament to actually do some test prints :D, next week that will come so expect lots more photos and nerd shit.  

All up for $356 delivered in a week this kit is too good to pass up, the quality and speed of a kossel over a Cartesian printer styles is far better once fully calibrated.

that wobble on the fan wouldn't be assisting.

yeah I was looking at that fan wobble.. looks a lot faster then the one I have here.
When you do a print, time it, send me the .stl file and I will see how long the one I have here takes to print it and we can compare the quality.. 

few questions..
What is the largest object size you can print?

Is the glass bed stationary or does it rotate?

Hows is the glass bed held in place?

Is the Bed heated?

If I where to order one, and build a larger frame, would the software calibrate to the larger scale?

7 hours ago, myzteriouz1 said:

that wobble on the fan wouldn't be assisting.

I wondered how long it would take someone to noticed it :P 

Been long fixed I broke that by crashing it into the Z tower when doing my first bed probe I entered the wrong Y and yeah it said hello to the tower before I could reach the off button haha! anyhow it was fixed like 5 minutes after that dry run. 

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

looks a lot faster then the one I have here.

That was only 60/ms I can crank it up to 100/ms If I want I might give that a go today an see how it goes. I'll film a resonance test today and upload it, they are pretty funky sound :P

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

What is the largest object size you can print?

Build volume on this delta is 100mm radius, 291mm high.

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

Is the glass bed stationary or does it rotate?

Hows is the glass bed held in place?

It's stationary, but can be pulled out the glass as it just sits on those tabs around the side stopping it from moving around badly, it's pretty basic bed. And isn't heated at the current time, I swapped out heated bed for linear rails, smoother and can handle faster speed. Heated beds are a extra $30 / 40 depending on what one you get, be aware they also would need a bigger power brink 12A+.

5 hours ago, DeCoY said:

If I where to order one, and build a larger frame, would the software calibrate to the larger scale?

Pretty dam simple actually all you are changing is your build height and generally the delta rod lengths once you have changed the size of the build volume. Check out this Kossel  / Deltabot, it's all made Marlin https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin which is open source and changeable how every you want.