Anchorman

nVidia GTX 1080 - An absolute beast

65 posts in this topic

Just watched the live stream of the launch. Some very interesting new tech from nVidia announced today:

nVidia ANSEL

Driver based technology via SDK.
In game free floating cameras with full effects and full 360 vision to allow for cinematic in-game photography, independent of what your player view port is. Looks great!

GTX 1080/1070

Single card is faster than the Titan X GTX980 in SLI and at significantly less power

Ability to render multiview ports (aka triple head) with view port correction in a single pass. This extends to VR where they give you 4x viewports per eye that are distortion corrected to account for the lens distortions in VR headsets.

Flagship prices of course.

1080 available from May 27

1070 available from June 10

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/10series/geforce-gtx-1080

gallery-1.jpg

cheering i waited, was going to grab a 980ti last week but thought to wait for the price to drop on these. The founders edition looks interested as well might drop my money on one of them if i can snag one

I wonder if they are going to bring out a Ti version?

59 minutes ago, Hman said:

I wonder if they are going to bring out a Ti version?

i'd say so but usually they get released around 6 months or so later

Ok - so direct from nVidia CEO, here is the links to the video presentation

Starts around 29min mark: https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/v/64989878

ANSEL demo starts at about 30min mark --- worth watching if you like making game photo art or videos (although no video support yet).

GTX 1080 starts around 50min mark

Multiview port stuff starts round 1:15mark

Enjoy

And edit to original post:

Single card is faster than the SLI GTX 980 - not SLI Titan X as I initially posted. The single card is faster than a single Titan X however.

I hate nVidia so much and their shitty anti-competitive ways...but AMD really need to step up their game now

38 minutes ago, Griff said:

I hate nVidia so much and their shitty anti-competitive ways...but AMD really need to step up their game now

They know they have the best hardware, why not take advantage and make a little bit of money back. They spent big $$$ making this. I understand the reasoning behind wanting to make some of it back... But still we will see how the field looks in a couple of months once manufactures get there paws on some boards.

If AMD had decent products, competition would be fine. I am not sure that nVidia are anti-competitive in anyway, just that the consumers see better value for money in nVidia at the moment and that is reflected in their pricing.

Healthy competition does not demand that all prices be equal, only that the price per marginal productivity is equivalent. I haven't checked the $$$/Teraflop but I imagine that there is probably reasonable competivness to their pricing.

9 minutes ago, Anchorman said:

I am not sure that nVidia are anti-competitive in anyway

CUDA, Gameworks, G-sync...whereas all AMD alternatives are open source. This is why AMD cards run shit on nVidia-sponsored games, but not vice-versa.

Also sabotaging games with extra, hidden, unnecessary tessellation: 

Yay, now I will be able to run all of the latest console ports at 200+ fps!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Griff said:

CUDA, Gameworks, G-sync...whereas all AMD alternatives are open source. This is why AMD cards run shit on nVidia-sponsored games, but not vice-versa.

Also sabotaging games with extra, hidden, unnecessary tessellation: 

AMD drivers enable you to lower the tessellation if thats really an issue, they're just not competitive and don't bring anything to the table (except maybe their price point but that may change depending on how these 10xx series cards fair)... can't blame it all on the gpu manufactures all those added features like hairworks are in there because the developers and publishers decide to pick a side

3 hours ago, lazylemon said:

I will stick with AMD as they offer what nVidia doesn't a great card at an affordable price tag.

http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

Pretty sure you are mis-reading that chart. nVidia seems to be topping the $$$/performance for the 3 cards there. 

The next best AMD comes in at 44 3D score/$$$. The AMD R9 295X2 is only at the top because it is sorted by 3DScore, not by price per performance.

Sorting on Performance / Price and you get a pretty even story

On 10/05/2016 at 4:46 PM, Fanghur said:

AMD drivers enable you to lower the tessellation if thats really an issue, they're just not competitive and don't bring anything to the table (except maybe their price point but that may change depending on how these 10xx series cards fair)... can't blame it all on the gpu manufactures all those added features like hairworks are in there because the developers and publishers decide to pick a side

Decide or get really nice incentives. Either way it's not good for the industry or gamers. They will be forced to change as open alternatives will be much more enticing for developers and AMD's Fury X replacement should be awesome. The 1080 is a amazing card but I'm sure AMD's high end GPU's coming out after polaris 10 and 11 will be amazing when they are released in around October.

Competition is good and also healthy, it forces the technology forward. I reckon nvidia have been holding back for a while now, seeing as amd were just rebranding cards, there was no point... Just my opinion 

Let's all be honest now, You can technically run a 1080 + i7 config on a 500/550w psu 
ARE YOU NOT IMPRESSED?

1 hour ago, NavMan said:

Is that your personal rig?! 

New upgrade yes. :)

Bought 2 for $94 each (normally $500+), thanks to Facebook flooding the market during their upgrades.

Australian pricing (+ Australia tax) is now known:

Around $1200

https://www.pccasegear.com/category/193_1828/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-1080 

Anyone ever bought anything from Newegg or other International parts retailers? Can probably save around $200 I think...